What is the Citizen's Academy?
The Citizen's Academy is an eleven week program that will be a true, un-doctored look at City-wide operations. Each week participants will tour a facility with department directors. Staff will answer questions from participants. We start at 6 p.m. every night and the program can last until 9 p.m., though most do not. Between each class there will be a requirement to tour or ride along with each department during regular business hours. We will coordinate to ensure everyone's schedule can be accommodated. Here's a look at the ten week program:
- February 16 Introduction to the City of Aransas Pass / City Manager
- February 23 Police Department
- March 2 Fire Department
- March 9 Development Services / Building Inspections / Comprehensive Planning
- March 16 Code Enforcement / Animal Control
- March 23 Public Works/Streets/Transfer Station
- March 30 Municipal Court
- April 6 Library
- April 13 Harbor
- April 20 Civic Center / Senior Center
- April 27 Finance/Utility Business Office
- May 1 Graduation before Council
We are now accepting applications for the Citizen's Academy.
Our last Citizen's Academy was a huge success!
- "It was an exciting and educational experience learning what each department in City Hall does for the city of Aransas Pass and its citizens!" - Bella Perego, 2014 Citizen's Academy attendee
- "I enjoyed every week of the class and learned a vast amount of interesting things about the workings of our city. The presentations were well-planned and all questions were answered fully by the city staff. Kudos to the new Animal Control team for their attendance at these sessions and a very informative session." - Hope Comingore, 2014 Citizen's Academy attendee
Fill out our online form if you are interested in being a part of our second Citizen's Academy for Aransas Pass. Once your seat has been confirmed, a city employee will contact you to share those details.